Understanding Toy Safety (Part 1)

Toy Safety Course

Understanding Toy Safety (Part 1)

Understand the complex and heavily legislated area of Toy Safety

Toy Safety training devised specifically for publishers working with Children’s Books and Toys. We offer two courses, one pitched at people who are new to product safety and the other at a more advanced level and focussed on performing Safety Assessments.

Both courses do not need to be taken and Part 2 can be taken without Part 1, depending on prior toy safety knowledge and experience.

Part 1 includes an overview of European and International legislation. This will help you understand your obligations and the processes involved in bringing a safe and legal novelty book or toy to market.

Part 2 – Toy Safety Practical Workshop: Identifying Hazards & Minimising Risk is a supplemental practical course. It is recommend for anyone handling products with toy based value.

Course Summary

Date: April 30th | Duration: 1 Day | Start: 09:30 –  End 17:00 | Venue: Imago, Thame, OX9 | Trainer: Diane Greaves | Price: £445

What will I learn?

• Get a solid overview of current European and international Toy Safety legislation and understand your legal obligations – special emphasis on the chemical requirements within the European Directives and the obligations of everyone within the supply chain

• Understand how toy safety relates to your children’s books and toy products

• Understand when to test your product, the types of tests that the labs carry out and become familiar with reading test reports

• Learn how to apply the CE mark and use the correct warnings

• Understand how children interact with your products and how to ensure the product complies with the applicable legislation and carries the appropriate warnings for the intended age.

What skills are needed for this course?

No previous experience is required. This course is perfect for anyone new to safety legislation or with limited experience of working with children’s books and toys. It’s also a great refresher course – Toy Safety Legislation doesn’t stand still!

Diane Greaves Toy Safety Expert

Diane Greaves – Safety Expert with over 20 years of Toy Safety Experience

Diane has worked in children’s product safety for over twenty years, starting as a Laboratory Manager. Before long she was moving on to manage two facilities testing children’s toys, childcare articles and nursery products.

Early in her career, Diane was General Manager for ITS RAM and set up the UK office. She beoame deeply involved in hazard assessments, looking at essential safety and risk assessment of products for many brands including Marks & Spencer, MacDonalds, Nike, and Fritolay.

As well as running training for Imago, Diane is an independent safety consultant for Marks & Spencers, Hallmark and also for us and is a member of several of the Standards committees including CW15 (Safety of Toys).

Interested in this course ?

Please fill in the form or get in touch.

Contact Us Training UK
Training at Imago
2019-05-16T14:04:47+00:00

12 Comments

1. Carlsen Germany October 8, 2018 at 9:23 am - Reply

Just wanted to thank you for your really wonderful and inspiring seminar about Toy Safety. I must say I was a little sceptical that I would get something out of your seminar that would make the flight to Oxford worthwhile. But now I know: it was worth every mile!

2. Oxford University Press February 20, 2019 at 8:23 am - Reply

This was a very useful introduction to toy safety, which fully met my expectations. Trainer was very knowledgeable and helpful, who was constantly prepared to answer questions. The overview on the legislation surrounding toy safety and on the required safety documents was most useful.

3. Little Tiger Press February 20, 2019 at 8:24 am - Reply

It was very informative. The part of the course when we analysed rejected toys was most useful. I am extremely likely to recommend the training to others

4. Carlton Books February 20, 2019 at 8:25 am - Reply

It was very informative and helpful. The trainer was very good at explaining the regulations and she was clearly very knowledgeable. Looking at different products and trying to assess the potential hazards that they could cause was most useful, as this is an area that requires experience rather than knowledge. I feel that I can be more confident in deciding what kind of testing we need to carry out on our books. I also feel more confident in deciding whether we need to test at all.

5. Little Tiger Press February 20, 2019 at 8:27 am - Reply

Very informative. Diane was engaging and had a lot of knowledge which was reflected in her training. As a result of this training, I feel I could confidently assess a product for safety testing.

6. Macmillan Education February 20, 2019 at 8:28 am - Reply

It met my expectations and even exceeded them. It was very informative. All explanations were clear and well presented with live examples from the industry. This comes to show that the trainer was very well experienced and happy to answer any questions. I could be more careful when asking for safety testing, to know and be more specific with what I want and advise design on things that I might foresee might cause an incident if produced in a certain way.

7. Professor Puzzle Ltd February 20, 2019 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Diane was very knowledgeable and helpful. Answered all questions my classmates and I had. The course was great and helped build up my knowledge that I already learnt whilst on the job. Diane was very knowledgeable and helpful. Answered all questions my classmates and I had.

8. […] Understanding Toy Safety (Part 1) includes an overview of European and International legislation to help you understand your obligations and the processes involved in bringing a safe and legal novelty book or toy to market. […]

9. […] Understanding Toy Safety (Part 1) includes an overview of European and International legislation. This preliminary course will help you understand your obligations and the processes involved in bringing a safe and legal novelty book or toy to market. […]

10. Bloomsbury May 7, 2019 at 11:03 am - Reply

Diane was very knowledgable and experienced, and welcomed questions and further explanation. Awesome! All of it was brilliant.

11. Bloomsbury May 7, 2019 at 11:05 am - Reply

It was a thorough, professional and extremely informative experience in a relaxed environment…. hugely informative and thorough… exceeded my expectations! The trainer was very clear, knowledgeable and open to any questions throughout the day. I found the practical element of the course very useful. Looking at toys and going through the stages of risk assessments really helped to apply my knowledge. Everything was extremely detailed and we covered a lot in one day

12. Letterland May 14, 2019 at 11:28 am - Reply

Diane explained everything very clearly and got through a huge amount of information in an understandable way. It was an incredibly useful and informative session.