Toy Safety (Part 2): Risk Assessment & Hazards Identification Training

Toy Safety Training for Publishers of Children's Books & Toys

Toy Safety (Part 2): Risk Assessment & Hazards Identification Training

Learn how to carry out a Toy Safety Hazard Assessment

A one day advanced workshop which will teach you how to recognise and deal with potential toy safety hazards before placing your product onto the market. We take a step-by-step approach to completing Safety Assessments on samples of products that are representative of popular children’s formats. So you will put your legislative know-how into practice.  By the end of the day, you will be equipped to recognise and address any potential hazards before your product reaches the supply chain. This course is often taken as a follow up to Understanding Toy Safety (Part 1).

This training is Part 2 of a two part series. Both courses do not need to be taken. Part 2 can be taken without Part 1, depending on prior toy safety knowledge and experience. Understanding Toy Safety (Part 1)  provide the overview of the European and International legislation. This preliminary course will help you understand your obligations and the processes involved in bringing a safe and legal novelty book or toy to market. So if you do not have this knowledge, we recommend doing this course before you do Part 2. You don’t want to crash and burn….

Course Summary

Date: Feb 4th | Duration: 1  Day | Start: 09:30 –  End 17:00 | Venue: Imago, Thame, OX9 | Trainer: Diane Greaves | Price: £445

What will I learn?

• You will learn how to identify potential physical and chemical hazards in your products and take timely and preventative action

• We will help you understand how children interact with your products and how that can affect the overall safety of your product

• This course will make you feel confident in producing a detailed safety assessment and technical file in line with the requirements of the European Toy Safety Directive

• Get the skills to confidently manage safety testing costs in the most effective way without compromising on safety or putting yourself at risk

• You will be taught how to use foreseeable use as insight you will learn how to determine how children will interact with your products in both intended and foreseeable ways.

• We will help you understand the interaction between the child and the product. This will enable you to identify potential physical hazards that may affect the safety of the product.

• We will also help you develop a good understanding of the latest chemical requirements, as well as how to manage testing costs effectively without compromising the safety of the product

What skills do I need for this course?

Some product safety experience and knowledge of safety legislation is assumed.

Diane Greaves – Safety Expert with over 20 years of Toy Safety Experience

Diane has worked in children’s product safety for over twenty years, starting as a Laboratory Manager, moving on to manage two facilities testing children’s toys, childcare articles and nursery products.
Early in her career, Diane was General Manager for ITS RAM and set up the UK office. She became deeply involved in hazard assessments, looking at essential safety and risk assessment of products for many brands including Marks & Spencer, MacDonalds, Nike, and Fritolay.
Diane is an independent safety consultant for Marks & Spencers, Hallmark and also for us! As if all that isn’t enough to keep her busy, Diane is also a member of several of the Standards committees including CW15 (Safety of Toys). She has her finger well and truly on the pulse!

Interested in this course ?

Contact Us Training UK
Training at Imago
2019-12-10T14:09:24+00:00

11 Comments

1. Fine Feather Press February 20, 2019 at 2:08 pm - Reply

Very good indeed! I have done training with Diane before so I knew what to expect. Excellent trainer. Diane is an expert in the field, very friendly and personable. She was clear in her explanations and encouraged questions throughout the training. Legal obligations as manufacturer, demonstrating compliance and discussing hazards were most useful. I liked the format and structure of the course. It’s such a vast area to cover and Diane made it relevant and interesting.

2. Igloo Books February 20, 2019 at 2:09 pm - Reply

I found the course very informative and useful. Diane was great! Very clear explanations given and open discussion encouraged. All of the information about chemical testing was very useful as I have never discussed things in this level of detail. Very interesting! I definitely feel more confident in what I should be looking for on different items. I’m sure this will allow me to make decisions more quickly and save money on unnecessary safety testing. I think the course was pitched at the right level of content and detail. I am definitely interested in learning more about general toy safety but I think most of this will come from experience in my day to day role.

3. Bonnier Publishing February 20, 2019 at 2:10 pm - Reply

Absolutely, I thought it was brilliant. The trainer was excellent – explanations were concise and engaging, and questions were encouraged throughout. I found it very useful to go through the risk assessment looking at the different substances and going into greater detail on them.

4. Igloo Books February 20, 2019 at 2:11 pm - Reply

Fantastic – clear, relevant information, realistic approach to our testing requirements.

5. […] Part 2 – Toy Safety Practical Workshop: Identifying Hazards & Minimising Risk is a supplemental practical course recommend for anyone handling products with toy based value. […]

6. Bonnier Books June 24, 2019 at 12:33 pm - Reply

Comprehensive and well run, it absolutely met my expectations…the detail was excellent throughout. The detail was excellent throughout. The trainer new their material very well and communicated it clearly at all times. Questions were regularly encouraged and they were happy to take time to answer them fully.

7. Quarto Books June 24, 2019 at 12:35 pm - Reply

The course was interesting and informative. It definitely met my expectations.Diane was fantastic – the explanations were very clear, and there were ample opportunities to ask questions. The group wasn’t too big, so we could interject with questions when they came up. Diane’s experience and anecdotal examples were really interesting. A very interesting and informative day

8. Oxford University Press June 24, 2019 at 12:36 pm - Reply

Overall I thought the course was very useful. The trainer was very good. Clearly very knowledgeable, and encouraged questions throughout the course

9. Igloo Books June 24, 2019 at 12:37 pm - Reply

Very informative and much easier to understand than anticipated.Fantastic

10. Igloo Books June 24, 2019 at 12:39 pm - Reply

The course was a real eye opener to safety requirements in toys. Course exceeded my expectations.Diane was amazing, her knowledge on safety is outstanding and explained everything clearly with examples. Course was perfect information for what my job requires.Really informative course, set in a beautiful relaxed location.

11. Quarto Books June 24, 2019 at 12:40 pm - Reply

Very useful and gave me better insight to how to Risk Assess a product. Diane was very knowledgable, and provided me with answers to current queries i have at work. Enlightening.