Essential Book Production Training for Publishers

Book Production Training Course

Essentials Book Production Training

Learn about the the key stages involved in the book production process

This course covers each part of the book production workflow including, the basics of printing, the theory of colour, binding styles as well as different cover and jacket finishes, paper, packing and shipping.  Illustrated with visuals and physical samples throughout making the theory come to life!

Course Summary

Date:  24th June | Duration: 1 Day |  Start: 09:30 –  End 17:00 | Venue: Imago, OX9  | Trainers: Eunice Paterson & Teresa Solomon | Price: £445

What will I learn?

• The basics of the 4 colour printing process

• Get to grips with book production terminology

• Learn how to write a comprehensive and clear print specification

• We explain the dynamics of co-edition publishing and how it impacts on the schedule and the production processes

• Print prices  are explained and we discuss what influences them

• Binding process, covers & jackets

• Learn about paper, the different and how to choose wisely for your product

• Shipping, packing instructions, documentation, incoterms, lead times

• Pricing, cost components, how to make savings and what influences pricing

What skills do I need to do this course?

This is an entry level course, so no previous experience is required.

Suitable for anyone new to the publishing industry; junior production staff, editors, designers, marketing, sales, administrative, HR, PR.

Eunice Paterson – 30 years print production experience

Eunice has worked in print production for 30 years for companies as diverse as Dorling Kindersley and Sage Publications.

Eunice has extensive production experience having worked on children’s magazines, pop-up books, children’s books with books plus elements, illustrated coffee table books, fiction, academic books and journals. Such a wide range of products has given Eunice experience of hand assembly, web and sheet fed litho, digital and ink jet production.

Over her career, Eunice has worked extensively with printers in the Far East, Middle East, Europe, USA and Canada.

Teresa Solomon –  Colour Expert and Training Consultant

Teresa is highly experienced in colour and the technicalities of book production. She worked on the Production side in book publishing for many years before moving to Imago.

She has worked closely troubleshooting colour and print problems with printers, repro, production and designers for many years. For the last 15 years Teresa has worked for Imago developing training courses for the Imago Training School and is one of Imago’s colour experts.

Teresa is now closely involved in developing new courses for Imago and is also a ‘go-to’ person for production issues and Consultancy.

Interested in this course?

Please fill in the form or get in touch.

Contact Us Training UK
Training at Imago
2019-05-21T09:56:05+00:00

12 Comments

1. Aurum Press October 4, 2018 at 10:10 am - Reply

The course was a great comprehensive introduction to the basics of production – very useful. Two interesting and approachable trainers who are passionate about production and publishing

2. Freelancer February 19, 2019 at 4:48 pm - Reply

The course was excellent and met my expectations.

3. Bloomsbury Publishing February 19, 2019 at 4:49 pm - Reply

It was an excellent course with two vastly experienced trainers. Trainers were vastly experienced, friendly, happy to answer questions. The answers were always clear and concise. I am extremely likely to recommend the training to others

4. Quarto Publishing February 19, 2019 at 4:50 pm - Reply

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Explanations were very clear

5. Red Squirrel Publishing February 19, 2019 at 4:54 pm - Reply

The course was exactly what I was hoping for. It gave a really good range of information – from basic processes right up to more complex ones. The trainers were excellent and it was nice format to have two of them. This meant they were able to complement each other and also brought variety to the presentation format. Essentially the training has given me more confidence in key areas that I am doing things correctly, or that I can make improvements to my practise.

6. The Folio Society February 19, 2019 at 4:55 pm - Reply

I found it very informative, and I think there was an appropriate amount of time spent on each area for a general overview. Very knowledgable, and they clearly endeavoured to make sure each point was understood.

7. Carlton Books February 19, 2019 at 4:55 pm - Reply

I thought it was really good. Very useful to get a an overall picture of the essentials in one sitting. In general my overall understanding of the processes has improved and I will benefit from having had this explained from an outsider. Coming from a different side of publishing (sales) it is good to know what is generally true for book production and what is more to do with internal processes at your own company.

8. Carlton Books February 19, 2019 at 4:57 pm - Reply

I really enjoyed the day, it wasn’t too information heavy and I felt there was time given to absorb things. Both trainers were very clear, and knew their subjects really well and you could tell they both loved what they do. I found going through and doing the challenges, identifying different finished and extents etc – helped solidify my understanding.

9. Carlton Books February 20, 2019 at 1:49 pm - Reply

My main overall impression is that the people teaching the course really enjoyed talking about production which made learning about it really interesting and enjoyable. Trainers were both fantastic. My favourite part was learning about paper and feeling the different weights as well as what different specs look like

10. Carlton Books February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm - Reply

It was thorough and extremely informative – definitely met my expectations. Both trainers were insightful and approachable. Questions were encouraged throughout, and answered clearly. The introduction covering the fundamental processes of printing was really useful, and helped set up the rest of the course well.

11. Bonnier Publishing February 20, 2019 at 1:57 pm - Reply

The course was very thorough and informative, I came away having learnt a lot. The trainers were both engaging and explained things well – very happy to take questions too. The exercises were useful as it allowed you to put some of the theory into practice

12. Carlton Books February 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm - Reply

Fantastic. Really informative, engaging and interesting. Very good trainers, inclusive and encouraging of discussion and questions. I really enjoyed finding out about colour separation and screens, I would be interested to learn more. I feel more savvy about the best spec and finishes for specific types of books in terms of quality and cost, have constructive conversations with Production about timelines, plan the layouts and picture choices of books for more efficient and successful printing.