We love producing card and box sets. They are not very complicated but they are quite a special product in our business which require attention to detail.
There are many things to take into account when producing a set like this from the thickness of the cards so they fit accurately into the box, to what kind of finishes work best for the cards and whether they should be die-cut or punched. And for the box, making sure you have an accurate template and the box wrapper is wrapped over the grey board in the correct way. Box constructions can be very different and it’s important to get the right type of construction based on your final design. We have produced many different types of boxed sets, so we pride ourselves in being knowledgeable in this area.
Some specifics to really think about to ensure successful production:
- Check the nesting of the card backs – printing the reverse of the cards on different sides of the sheet produces a higher risk of colour inconsistency
- Do you have printed borders around your cards – if so, there could be a risk of the border not being centred after trimming ?
- Do cards have rounded corners, do those corners need to be a specific radius?
- Do your cards have gilt edging, if so, selecting the best varnish/finishing is a ‘must’?
- Do your cards have coloured edges, if so, it’s important to pick the right colour for your box liner?
- Do you require shrink-wrap or a bellyband to hold the cards in place?
- Check text or pictures are positioned correctly on each panel of the box when the product is made up.
- Do you require thumbholes on your box – make sure they are placed clear of all text and images?
- And we would always suggest you obtain and approve a working prototype
Get in touch to discuss your next project with us!